My Crafting Resume
I'm guessing you landed on this page because you Googled information about TLC's show "Craft Wars." Yep- that was me in the "Trick or Trowel" episode working my crafty self in to a glittery frenzy on a gigantic Halloween "Haunted Shipwreck." I came in second place and yes, that was a bummer. However, karma intervened and one of the judges happened to be in a hotel bar the night the show aired- surrounded by dozens of my friends from the crafting industry. And yes, they boo'ed her in my honor. So we're all friends again and I get the fun memory of being on a reality show.
In the fall of 2011, I started a series of videos called "The Guilty Crafter." The videos are being produced and edited by the very talented Kent Nichols who is the co-creator of the popular www.AskANinja.com series. I met Kent after he was lucky enough to get my very lovely cousin to fall in love with and marry him. Consequently, The Guilty Crafter is born of a little nepotism, a mutual love of social media, crafting and the need to always be doing something new and interesting when it comes to the internet.
Prior to my webseries, I had 4 years experience (2008-2012) as a lead brand ambassador for the award-winning grassroots community at www.Fiskateers.com. The community concept was created in partnership with Fiskars and the amazingly inspirational brand identity company Brains on Fire. I couldn't have imagined a better job for me. I get to meet with other crafters in person all over the United States and encourage & share their passion for scrapping. And online? I think I've counted 70 countries that include my Fiskateer friends. One of these days, I'll map it all out on a pretty (handcrafted of course) map with pins but for now, I'm too busy just doing my thing. And that means a lot of writing, a lot of crafting and making a LOT of amazing connections with people who feel the way I do- that crafting isn't JUST crafting. It's therapy, it's memory preservation, it's history and, most simply, it's a really satisfyingly good way to spend a nice day with friends.
Prior to my time as a Lead Fiskateer and discovering that I am The Guilty Crafter, I was also lucky enough to be an on-camera designer as well as the Executive Editor for the first online scrapbooking reality show, Scrapbook Lifestyle, sponsored by Better Homes and Garden’s Scrapbooks Etc. magazine from 2005-2007. If you caught one of my episodes (and I have a few archived here on my blog), you’ve seen that I enjoy graphic style design with lots of color. I also dabble with digital scrapping and back then, as now, I loved sharing my passion for this hobby with others. I also enjoyed providing all the editing and content for the official Scrapbook LifeStyle blog which is similar to what I do now for Fiskateer.com.
I'm always interested in working on new projects for magazines, manufacturers and online sites. Through my association with Brains on Fire, I have come to feel passionately about their message regarding the power word of mouth movements and I've had the opportunity to speak with them about their message at some pretty fun venues. You can see those venues listed below as well as see where I've had my crafting work published over the past few years that I got addicted to this fun crafting world and see samples of my work at my online gallery or you can cut to the chase and E-mail me directly for more recent examples. I'm always happy to share what I've been working on.
Published Pages and Practical Experience:
- I was thrilled to be asked to contribute some of my thoughts on Word of Mouth Movements, gathered from my experience as a brand evangelist, in this great business book. You can find quotes from me in the introduction on page xxxii and page 142
- Fall Issue (2012)- upcoming publication
- "Good Eats"Apron (Apron*ology, Volume 3, 2010)
- Apron (Apon*ology, Volume 2, 2009)
- Mother & Daughter Plumage Tights (Altered Couture Winter issue 2011)
- Shirt to Skirt project (Altered Couture Winter issue-2009)
- "Lunch Notes" altered project (August/Sept 2007)
- “I Remember” layout – (“Fast and Fabulous” issue 2007)
- “Buzz” layout- (upcoming “Fast and Fabulous” issue 2007)
- "Papa & Tabitha"- (June issue 2007)
- Bronty’s Heart” layout - (September 2005)
- “So Dee-dee” layout- (Family Book 2005)
- Mermaids in Manhattan necklace (August 2009)
- “Sushi" Layout (Idea Book, Winter 2007)
- "Rose" Layout (Idea Book, Winter 2007)
- "Kid Free" Layout (Idea Book, Winter 2007)
- “Little Red Riding Hood" Layout (October 2006)
- “Lake Tahoe” digital layout - (Summer Issue 2007)
- “A Lifetime of Homes" Layout/mini album (summer issue 2007)
- "Mama's Wedding Dress" (April/ May issue 2008)
- “Altered Pants” mixed media (Aug/Sept 2006)
- “Why I Scrap” project- (Dec/Jan 2005)
- “Birthday Invitation” card- (Oct/Nov 2005)
- ”Vacation Still Life"photo - Focus on Photos Column (July 2006)
- "Sparky" (upcoming publicaion- Summer 2007)
- “Hip Chick” layout- Kodak Book published by Cantata (Spring 2006)
- “Cosmo and the Peeps” layout- Cantata Books Pet Book (Fall 2006)
- Cupcake Blank Board book for C & T Publishing (February 2009)
- Chipboard Embellishements featured at www.self-addressed.com and www.simplycardstock.com (May and July 2006)
- 2 greeting cards sold to the Styrofoam Puffy Paper manufacturer for use in their trade shows (September 2005)
- 5 projects sold to C & T Publishing for packaging graphics, trade shows and publications (Featured in their fall 2006 publication entitled: "Board Book Play from A to Z"- 4 more to be featured in upcoming publications 2007)
- Product Packaging for C & T Publishing, 2007
My job as Lead Fiskateer had me traveling to major crafting conventions and events all over the United States, all year long. I teach, I demo'ed new products and I partnered with other vendors to showcase their consumables, too. I try to be at a major event at least once per month- if you have an event you'd like me to visit, please email me at Angela@Fiskateers.com- I'd love to hear about it!
- Maker Faire, 2011, 2012 (I was awarded an Education Award for 2011)
- Fiskars classes, Cropapalooza, Reno 2008
- Various classes in conjunction with www.scrapbooklifestyle.com
- Fiskars Classes, ScrapFest, Mall of America, 2008
- Scrapping classes at Scrapbook Cottage (Reno, NV)
- Former corporate trainer with 10 years experience in public speaking and adult education
- Creative Team Member for Avery Personal Creations
- Color Theory Articles written for www.simplycardstock.com (April 2006 to 2008)
- Contestant for TLC's Craft Wars. Episode "Trick or Trowel" (Summer 2012)
Online Video Experience
- Internet TV show personality for www.scrapbooklifestyle.com distributed by Scrapbooks Etc. magazine
- Fiskars Craft TV- Advent calendar project (12/12/2007 "Holiday Show & Tell). http://www.fiskarscrafts.com/tv/
- Fiskars Craft TV- Fall Episode (upcoming show for fall, 2008)
- Video Short for C & T Publication: http://www.ctpub.com/client/client_pages/free_patterns.cfm
- 10 Lessons Learned from Igniting Word of Mouth Movements (National Restaurant Association Show with Geno Church, Brains on Fire. 2010)
- Diva Craft Radio Guest (2009): http://www.divacraftlounge.com/9-30-09.htm
- Fiskateer Case Study (BlogHer Business 2009)
- Corporate Trainer (1992-2001) Once upon a time, before I had children I wanted to maximize my time with, I was a professional corporate trainer and people came to me to learn all manner of corporate subjects. It was fun (and I love a captive audience) but I got tired of a daily diet of donuts. Not to mention, my presentations were on often on clear transparencies and I started wishing I could do something a little more creative and a little more colorful but I did learn to love speaking to big crowds and I jump at the chance to do public speaking whenever I can.